Sunday 9 September 2012

Camera Reel Cake

One of my dear friends called me the other day and wanted a small cake that she and her friends wanted to gift to their photography teacher. It was their last class together and they felt a farewell gift would have been nice.

We brainstormed on photography-related cake designs and this is what we came up with:

Top: Camera Reel Bow. 
Bottom: (Left) Top of Victoria Memorial, (Right) Kolkata High Court 

A 2 layered, chocolate and vanilla cake, sandwiched and covered in dense, rich, dark chocolate gananche. 

I wanted a camera reel effect for the cake, so I created a fondant bow and painted it to look like the edges of a camera reel.

And of course, what good is a camera reel if it doesn't have images on it! And so, I created fondant panels on the side and painted each one with an image that reminded me of Kolkata. 

 Bottom: (Left) Durga Pujo Poster, (Right) Top of Victoria Memorial

Bottom: (Centre) Howrah Bridge

Bottom: (Left) Yellow Taxi, (Right) Hand-pulled cart

Again, this was so much fun for me because this was the first time I painted on cake, and now, my mind is swimming with possibilities and colours and design ideas!

(Someone, anyone, please order a painted cake soon!)


Note: The Peony Project kitchen will be closed from the 11th -16th of September as I'll be out of town. Baking activities will resume from the 17th onwards.

Do you know, you can now subscribe for these blog posts to have them delivered fresh to your inbox, the second they're published? All you have to do is fill in your email address in the 'Follow by Email' box on the right :)

No comments:

Post a Comment