Wednesday 3 October 2012

Hansel & Gretel Exhibition

Hi all!

Apologies for the delay in updating this page, September was truly an INSANE month for me - the kitchen was on fire (figuratively, not literally) and cakes were being churned out daily!

Speaking of things being churned out, I took part in one of Kolkata's biggest and most popular exhibitions - Hansel and Gretel. It's a wonderful event that has loads of stalls that sell kid-related items - from packaging for birth announcement gifts, to kids fashion! So in the midst of all of that, The Peony Project put up its stall, selling cupcakes and cookies :)


I always get excited at the prospect of taking part in an exhibition. I love meeting old clients with whom I've only interacted with over the phone. It's like bumping into an old friend! I also really look forward to meeting new people and introducing them to The Peony Project way of doing cupcakes.

What I sort of dread, the day before and after the exhibition.  Making 300 or so cupcakes the day before and icing them is always a beautiful nightmare. And let's not forget all those aching muscles the day after the exhibition! Still, its nothing a few cups of coffee and some paracetamol can't fix!

Onto the exhibition:

Since H&G was a kid-oriented exhibition, I wanted my cupcakes to reflect a sense of fun and wonder. So I created these:


Fondant animals (Pink Elephant, Orange Lion, Bumblebees, Butterflies) and floral designs

The Fondant animals are pretty cute huh? I personally LOVED the bumblebees.

Too bad no one at the exhibition got to see them. They got completely smashed on the way there. That's nearly 2 days of work, completely ruined in 10 seconds.

Sigh.

Well, what can you do? I was just thankful the rest held up pretty well and so we had to make do with those. Still, every tragedy is always a learning excercise and what I learnt at that moment was this - Paranoia is Good.
Always be worried, always been paranoid that your stuff might get ruined and make provisions, make extras.

Thankfully my ganache covered cupcakes stayed safe and unsmashed!

 Ganache and sprinkle-covered cupcakes

The exhibition was an incredible amount of fun, getting to see the joy on everyone's faces when they bit into the cupcakes - priceless!

A big, big thank you to the organizers for inviting me to participate and an even bigger thank you to all those who came, saw and ate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment